The Global Disaster Preparedness Center (GDPC) Fellowship Program provides the opportunity for staff from the American Red Cross chapters and other Red Cross and Red Crescent national societies to participate in the work of the GDPC.
The GDPC has four main areas of focus: knowledge management, research, technical assistance and networking & coordination. In support of these foci, the GDPC has established several experiences designed to benefit disaster preparedness practitioners with the Center’s global perspective. Directly related to the networking & coordination service area, the fellowship aims to promote effective cross-learning among disaster preparedness professionals within the Red Cross and Red Crescent movement.
The Fellowship Program is for preparedness workers who have demonstrated innovative and exciting ways to engage their communities in preparedness activities. The GDPC Fellowship Program will expose the candidate to preparedness learning of other national societies while providing a platform for knowledge sharing with the rest of the global Red Cross network.
The objectives of the fellowship are:
- To promote cross-learning through the sharing of insights and experiences in disaster preparedness to help influence aspects of the GDPC’s current and future portfolio.
- To engage fellows in the promotion of disaster preparedness within the global Red Cross network and gain a better understanding of disaster preparedness from a global perspective.
Some opportunities for the fellows include:
- Contribute to the knowledge base of disaster preparedness related topics by contribution to the GDPC website.
- Share ideas and experience in community and urban disaster preparedness.
- Participate in planning and strategy meetings related to the GDPC, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and other movement partners.
- Attend workshops, brown bags or other learning opportunities related international relief and development.
- Meet with American Red Cross International Services staff to learn of the ongoing initiatives which may be of interest to the local chapter/national society.
- Meet with other selected units at national headquarters that support disaster preparedness.
- Contribute to the development of particular GDPC activities and initiatives.