Bhutan is known as the ‘Land of the Thunder Dragon ‘for the violent storms that blow in from the Himalayas. Here, climate change and weather hazards have always been point of vulnerability. Besides Himalayan storms, glacial melting can also cause flash floods. Frequent landslides during the rainy season and seismic activity further increase risks for farmers.
Past disaster events
- EM-DAT listing of disaster events in Bhutan
- Disaster statistics from UN-ISDR and CRED
- Risk country profile from Index for Risk Management
- Disaster response and management data from ReliefWeb
- HFA Progress Reports, government plans, and government statements and Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper – http://www.unisdr.org/partners/countries/btn
Red Cross + civil society
- IFRC appeals and info bulletins for Bhutan
Get the latest videos and photos, case studies, and training materials contributed by practitioners from around the globe. Visit our Resource Library for more.